Image Map

9/17/14

A Bad Case of Stripes

Anyone that knows my teacher self, knows that I absolutely LOVE using picture books as anchor texts for lessons in EVERY content area I teach. Well, one of my absolute favorite books is A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon.


The boys in my class were so excited to read another David Shannon book.

Oh lookie here, I even dressed up as Camilla Cream for my school's Book Character Parade (totally won some brownie points with my kiddos...hahaha):
Well, an absolutely amazing thing happened yesterday while I was browsing Instagram. I think fate allowed me to stumble upon The Third And Goal's freebie on Cause and Effect using A Bad Case of Stripes. I kid you not, cause and effect is the exact comprehension skill that I was supposed to teach with my curriculum's selection story for this week. Using my favorite picture book to help teach and reinforce this skill was not only fun for me, but I'd like to say my students had fun too; especially because I was able to find an old Scholastic read aloud video read by none other than Sean Astin who played Sam, Frodo's loyal friend, from Lord of the Rings.




End result...a super fun cause and effect page in my student's ELA Interactive Notebook:

The left page was colored by a male student and the right page by a female student. They both did such an awesome job representing Camilla's different stages in the story. I LOVE it!!!

1 comment: